SABE MAS Graduate Program
SABE MAS Academy is a College of Science program designed to strengthen STEM content knowledge and pedagogy in El Paso area teachers. SABE MAS seeks to:
- Increase mathematics and science teachers’ content and deep conceptual understanding of basic STEM topics and their connectivity in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics through experimentation, lesson plan development, and exemplary pedagogy.
- Increase the number of in-service math and science teachers in the districts with MAT degrees.
- Increase the number of pre-service math and science teachers prepared to enter the workforce.
Teachers applying to SABE MAS must teach high school math or science at an El Paso area public, private, or charter school, must not have previously participated in SABE MAS and must be nominated by their district or principal. All applications will be submitted by SABE MAS to your district for endorsement. Teachers must have taught for at least two years. Those selected:
- Must commit to a two year program.
- Receive a stipend of $2000 per year to be part of a SABE MAS Learning Community. As a member of the learning community you will:
- Meet every two weeks (not during school hours) for three hours on Wednesday evenings with other teachers and undergraduate students studying to teach secondary math or science, and UTEP faculty and staff.
- Help determine the scope and sequence of SABE MAS to better support your teaching of math and/or science.
- Collaborate on cross-disciplinary lesson plans supported by technology. The focus of this program is aligning and correlating physics with algebra 2 and trigonometry.
- May choose to receive an additional stipend of $2000 per year to pursue a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Math or Science. For more information on the two year MAT program for teachers go to http://www.science.utep.edu/mat/ :
- Participants may enroll in one or two courses per semester or summer session in the MAT Math or MAT Science program. Please contact Dr. Serpa for more information.
- Application and admission to UTEP’s Graduate School.
- Tuition is often reimbursed by school districts. Contact your district for more information. You may also apply for a TEACH grant through UTEP’s Office of Financial Aid.
Upon receipt of your application, we will request approval for your participation through your School District. Districts nominating teachers contribute $1000 per participant to the UTEP SABE MAS program.
The number of teachers accepted to SABE MAS is limited by funding.
Last updated April, 2010. Contact email@example.com for questions, comments, or changes.